Welcome to Main-Transit Fire Department. We currently have 90 guests and 45 members online...

Headline - ARTICLES

NYS Championship Drill

NYS Championship Drill at Main-Transit

On Friday December 24th Santa once again visited the Main-Transit Fire District. For the 2nd year in a row he turned his reindeer into a Fire Truck and from the hours of 1pm to 4pm he visited many Children that were able to watch out for him and greet him. Santa also brought an early present for all the Children that were lucky enough to get their picture taken with him for his Special Photo Album. To see if you made it into his very special album click here.

 

This is Headline 2 

Check out Santa's earlier visit to Anderson's Frozen Custard, during the The Main-Transit Fire Department and New York Life First Annual Santa Visit. The event (held on December 15, 2010) featured, Holiday Safety Tip reminders, Fire Safety giveaways, Child Fingerprinting and ID Tags by New York Life, and most importantly Santa himself!

Did you make it into "Santa's Album?"

Numerous excited children greeted Santa as he did a final overview of his naughty and nice list. Santa spoke with all the children to remind them that Christmas is only a week away but Santa is still watching. He even made a special photo album of some extra special children. See if you made it into Santa's special photo album!

 

> Photo Album (delete if no album exists)


 

 

Grilling Safety Tips

Did you know that every year, 7,000 Americans are injured while using backyard barbecue grills.

It's usually a case of good products used incorrectly.

Check out our list of the most common mistakes and key safety tips. Below are the top 10 Do's and Dont's to help keep your grilling season safe:

 


DO

  1. Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house. Farther is even better. This includes portions attached to your house like carports, garages and porches. Grills should not be used underneath wooden overhangs either, as the fire could flare up into the structure above. This applies to both charcoal and gas grills.
  2. Clean your grill regularly. If you allow grease and fat to build up on your grill, they provide more fuel for a fire. Grease is a major source of flare ups.
  3. Check for gas leaks. You can make sure no gas is leaking from your gas grill by making a solution of half liquid dish soap and half water and rubbing it on the hoses and connections. Then, turn the gas on (with the grill lid open.) If the soap forms large bubbles, that's a sign that the hoses have tiny holes or that the connections are not tight enough.
  4. Keep decorations away from your grill. Decorations like hanging baskets, pillows and umbrellas look pretty AND provide fuel for a fire. To make matters worse, today's decor is mostly made of artificial fibers that burn fast and hot, making this tip even more important.
  5. Keep a spray bottle of water handy. That way, if you have a minor flare-up you can spray it with the water to instantly calm it. The bonus of this tip is that water won't harm your food, so dinner won't be ruined!
  6. Keep a fire extinguisher within a couple steps of your grill. And KNOW HOW TO USE IT. If you are unsure how to use the extinguisher, don't waste time fiddling with it before calling 911. Firefighters say many fire deaths occur when people try to fight a fire themselves instead of calling for expert help and letting the fire department do its job.

 


DON'T

  1. Don't turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed. NEVER do this. It causes gas to build up inside your grill, and when you do light it and open it, a fireball can explode in your face.
  2. Don't leave a grill unattended. Fires double in size every minute. Plan ahead so that all of your other food prep chores are done and you can focus on grilling.
  3. Don't overload your grill with food. This applies especially fatty meats. The basic reason for this tip is that if too much fat drips on the flames at once, it can cause a large flare-up that could light nearby things on fire.
  4. Don't use a grill indoors. People often think it will be safe to use a grill, especially a small one, indoors. NOT TRUE. In addition to the fire hazard, grills release carbon monoxide, the deadly colorless, odorless gas. That gas needs to vent in fresh air or it can kill you, your family and pets.

 

Main-Transit's Chief Riley Passes Away

The Main Transit Fire Department is saddened to announce the loss of our chief, William “Radar” Riley. Chief Riley passed away on March 30, 2016 after a tough battle with cancer. He was 49 years old and a 30-year veteran of the fire service.

Chief Riley leaves behind his wife of 22 years, Denise, and many close friends and loved ones.

Arrangements:
The family will be present at Amigone Funeral Home (Amherst Chapel), 5600 Sheridan Dr., to receive friends and loved ones on Sunday, April 3rd from 1pm-3pm and 6pm-9pm

A funeral service will take place at the same location on Monday, April 4th at 11:00AM. Following the internment at Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery, there will be a luncheon at the Main-Transit Fire Department.

Honor Guards and apparatus are welcome and asked to contact Dominic Creamer at 716-206-4010 or email him at dcreamer@amherst.ny.us with the number of apparatus and personnel participating. Participating fire companies will be schedule in the latter half of the visitation.

Please direct any further questions to Asst. Chief Daniel Hooper or President Brian Rusin.



Visitation and Funeral
Amigone Funeral Home (Amherst Chapel)
5600 Sheridan Dr.
Williamsville, NY 14221

Internment
Sts. Peter and Paul Cemetery
South Union Rd.
Williamsville, NY 14221

Luncheon
Main Transit Fire Department
6777 Main St.
Williamsville, NY 14221


More Articles...

Page 3 of 17

3

Safety Check Poll

How often do you check your smoke detector batteries?

Banquet Facilities

Mar10 Demo Image

Have an upcoming Party or Get-Together?

Check-out and book our newly renovated banquet facilities for your next gathering!

Read More

The Slo-Pokes

Come See Us Training in Action!

Our competitive Slop-Pokes Team utilize many facets of everyday firefighting skills, including developing unity, dedication, skill amongst themselves, and pride within the department..

Learn More

The Explorers

Fostering the Future of Our Youth & Community

Developing support for volunteer fire and community service is an ongoing dedication at Main-Transit Fire Department. The Explorers is our youth program designed to help develop the  formation of positive relationships and a sense of belonging to something greater than ones self, for youths ages 14-18 years of age.

Learn More

Softball League

Strength in Teamwork

Our softball games are played on Friday evenings followed by get-together between departments players, members, family and fans. This has helped establish a close friendship amongst neighboring departments that often work together in mutual aid.

Learn More

Bowling League

Competitive Fun

Competing in the Amherst Firemen's Bowling League is just one of the many ways that we establish bonds with our neighboring departments while participating in a fun and competitive atmosphere.

Learn More

Site Login